Sunday, March 15, 2009

God is in control!

Hi!

I have spent the last few days with my mom and dad in Manahttan, KS Mom, Hannah and I attended Women of Faith in Kansas City on Friday and Saturday. What a time of reflection for me as I listened to some of the speakers who challenge my heart. Even a times when my theology didn't line up with some of the speakers the Lord reminded me why it is so important to interpret scripture in its context.

One speaker in particular spoke directly to me as she shared her story about how she always thought she needed to be in control of things in her life. As she poured her heart out honestly in front of 6000 women the Holy Spirit was saying Deb "You have tried to live this way" As she shared that ultimately she had to Let it all go, knowing that the Lord was the one who actually had all control over all things, the Holy Spirit was speaking directly to me about this in my life.

So today I was put to the test. We attended the early church service at my parents church. My dad had the service area of running the projector for their power point. He was sitting in the back and the rest of us were setting at the front. While I was sitting there towared the end of the service the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart that something wasn't right with my dad. When the service was over we met my dad at the back of the church and he came up and said "I think I need to go to the hospital. Something in my chest just feels funny." So here was my opportunity to practice the principal I had just learned the past two days. Let it all go to God. I calmly asked my dad for the keys to his car so I could drive him to the hospital which is about six blocks away from their church. As they ran tests on him I made a few calls and prayed, knowing that the Lord was in control. When they came back and said they were going to shock his heart back into rhythm. I prayed and asked the Lord to be in charge. And shortly before they were going to do the procedure they came in to talk to my mom and said. His heart went back into rhythm on its own. I stopped and thanked the Lord for his provision and for helping me grow more in the area of trusting him and not holding onto anything. My dad still needs to go through some tests for the Dr's to figure out what they can do to help his heart from coming out of rhythm. My dad at age 70 may choose to continue to carry a full load of work with alot of stress. But you know what! I am OK with that! Because I know that my Lord is in charge over all things and because of this I can just let go!

So as we move ahead in this next week I am focusing on Jesus who is in control. I haven't been home for more than a day since March 3rd. This is the longest time that Jon and I have ever spent apart in twenty years of marriage! I'm not sure what the days ahead hold but I do know who is in control!

Blessings,

Deb

No comments: