Monday, April 6, 2009

Asking for prayer

Hi!

My heart is heavy as I write this email today, but I am encouraged!

Today in my quiet time I began the book of Joshua. After spending two months in the books of Numbers and Deuteronomy, I was ready to begin Joshua. Don’t think I didn’t enjoy my time I spent in Numbers and Deuteronomy, because I did.

In the beginning I would have rather just skipped over them because they just repeat themselves over and over, but the Lord reminded me that is what he intended for it to be. So that I would learn and relearn and remember just how important these two books of the Bible were for the people of Israel and also for me today. The first few verses in Joshua remind us “To be strong and courageous. That is just what I need to continue to live in this sin filled world. I need God’s strength so that I can withstand the fiery flames that Satan constantly throws at me. So I am encouraged!

My heart still is breaking as we love and try to minister to people with spiritual issues, marriage issues, relationship issues, health issues … The list can go on and on! I find myself so inadequate in helping them. I know and believe that only Jesus can help, but so many of them don’t want to think about it being a spiritual need that overflows over into so many other issues.

I myself am trying to come to terms with my own issues.

As many of you know I have struggled for years with all kinds of health related issues. Most are related to my own sin of gluttony and the Lord has been dealing strongly with me in this area. How can I minister to other when I can’t even resist Satan’s hold in my own life? I try for awhile and have temporary results but I have never ever have total victory in this area. These past few months’ I have prayed over and over for the Lord to take this area of my life and clean house and He is! It isn’t without challenges and I know I will continue to struggle with it but I don’t have to give myself over to it.

For the past six years I have tried to regain my energy and strength since going through the “mold issues” we had when we lived in KS. I get temporary relief but never have felt my full energy restored. I haven’t struggled with colds, flu, headaches… but I still have intense pain and fatigue. My doctor in Red Cloud has been evaluating this for the past several years and this last February concluded that I have Fibromyalgia. This is something I have tried to deny over and over as I don’t want to admit that I have another health issue, but I have to deal with it because it is something I will have to live with the rest of my life. Above all I want to Glorify Jesus as He knew that this was going to be part of my life, even part of the consequences of my sin.

So I am entering a new phase of my life. Trying to set attainable goals and not trying to be a super woman. I am looking to Jesus for direction, learning to adjust to what I can and can’t do and learning how to best manage the pain that is real and sometimes overwhelming.

I would ask that you would continue to pray for me as I make the many adjustments that it will take.

I know there will be some that just won’t understand and may even take offense of my saying NO to them, but I am also praying that the Lord will go before me and will defend me. I know it won’t be easy but I am only one person and I’m not their savior! They need to look to Jesus for their guidance and help and not so much to me.

If you think about it I could sure use some prayer! Thanks in advance!

Praying you have a good week. Keep looking to Jesus!


Deb

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hey, Deb,
I don't know what you are going through, but I do know that we all try to be super women, at different times of our lives. Maybe for a day or two we get it done, then we crash. I found this site about a year ago, and maybe it will help you.

http://www.flylady.net/

I certainly don't follow her suggestions like I should, but she is very encouraging.

I guess we can all do anything for 15 min. at a time.

Be blessed today1

Steph VG said...

We don't know each other in person, but we're Facebook friends (my husband and I are VMs in western PA). I've been walking the same road - health issues related to gluttony, and now a diagnosis of fibromyalgia on top of it all.

Our people have gotten used to me just backing off and saying no when necessary. Yeah, there are some who don't understand, especially since I'm only 31. But I live to worship and please God, while serving them. Not the other way around. And that's helped.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you. May God bless you as you remember the resurrection, and the hope that is ours that fibromyalgia is temporary! :)

In Christ,
Steph VG

Mommy Missionary said...

Thanks for your honesty and (as always) your wisdom. The more longer I live I realize that EVERYONE's got "stuff"! Even people that look like they have it all together! I think being open and honest about our weaknesses and shortcomings is the pathway to Christ. Deeper for us and a light for others.