Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Hi!

Today was once again a day of celebration in the lives of two men in my life. First of all my dad and then my husband.

When I think about what these two men mean to me I want to weep knowing the influence they have had in my life over the past 46 years. It was my heavenly father Jesus who chose these two men to be part of my life.

First about my dad. My dad has been one of the most influential people in my life. He taught me how to work hard during the work week and then rest on the Lord's Day. From him I get my drive that powers my earthly life. From my heavenly Father I get the drive that powers my future! I am thankful that my dad made sure our family was in church every Sunday and that I didn't have a choice if I wanted to be there or not. Because of his commitment I heard about the Love of my heavenly father and gave my life to him when I was only 7 years of age. He sacrificed a lot and always encouraged me to be involved within our local church. I am thankful for this now that I am married to a pastor and involved as a team mate in the ministry the Lord has called us to. This past spring my dad struggled with a heart problem. Many times I thought that this may be the last time I see him or talk to him. I wanted him to know that I Love Him and that I am thankful that the Lord chose for me to have him as my dad.

Now about my husband. Many of the traits that I admire most in my dad, I find in my husband, Jon. And others are traits I love just about Jon. He loves the Lord. He loves people. He is passionate about the word of God. He is determined and empowered to communicate God's word to the people the Lord has chosen to hear it. He knows how to have fun and looks at life through a different set of glasses than I do. He has been the father who Hannah needed in her life and he has fathered her well. And because of him and his influence on her she came to know the Lord at age three. She has many of his traits which are a blessing from the Lord.

He has been the spiritual father that Esther, DeeDy and Steven have needed in their lives. I love to watch him talk to them. He always takes the time to communicate with each of them. His desire is to see them walking passionately with Christ. His love just spills out when he is with our kids. I love and respect this man of God that the Lord gave to me 20 years ago this August. What a gift!

Scripture tells us in James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Today I am thanking my Lord for the perfect gifts he gave to me: my dad, my husband, a my four children.

Praying you find time to thank those gifts the Lord has placed in your life. Maybe one of them will be your dad or husband.

Blessings to you!

Deb

1 comment:

Linda said...

Deb,
I really like your posts, but they are so hard to read with the brown background and the brown font.

I don't mean to tell you how to set up your blog, but a black font would be so much easier to read. As we get older, our eyes don't work like they should!

Your 'men' are special!