Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hi,

Well I survived camp and really had a great time. One of the highlights of my week was being able to share my story with the teens and young adults that were at camp. By sharing the story that the Lord has written for me it enabled me to be able to relate to them better I hope. It was also good for me to look back on all the Lord has done. If it weren't for Jesus my life would be a real mess. I am so thankful that I have to learn to rely on Him alone. When I try to do things my way I make a real mess of them.

Coming home I am spent out, tired and even on the cranky side. Often when I feel this way I just want to crawl in a hole and stay there, but that isn't what the Lord wants in my life. He promises to give me just what I need, when I need it, so that I can be better used by Him. So it is important that I keep my focus on Jesus and not myself!

Yesterday as Hannah and I were driving home from camp together we talked about personalities. The staff training last weekend for the counselors included a DISC personality test. As we talked about her results it was great to see how God created her to be who she is and that her personality is made up of some very wonderful characteristics. As she analyzed my personality she said something that really made me question how the Lord made me. She said she thought maybe I had a lot of C in my personality and that I like to speak the truth or give advice. At first I thought this sounded pretty negative but as I began to pray I asked that the Lord would show me if this was from Him or if it was an area of pride in my life that I needed to give over to Him.

Today in my quiet time he showed me an answer that I think I can live with.In Elizabeth George's devotional a Woman after God's own Heart I read:

Speak the Truth.

One of the richest blessings of a solid friendship is honesty. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, says Proverbs 27:6 and verse 9 adds, "The sweetness of a friend gives delight by hearty counsel." A lot of people would be critical of you, but very few will take the time and risk the effort of being honest. The hallmark of a great friendship is genuine truthfulness. I hope you have a friend or two who fit into this category! You also have the responsibility. Giving honest input is often easier than receiving it. Sometimes constructive feed back is hard on the ego! But if you don't listen, your growth will be limited and your friendship will remain shallow. Friendship is a two way street. So speak the truth in love. Let your friend know how much you love and appreciate them. She closes with this prayer. Lord, open my heart to the truth my friends speak to me. I'm not always eager to hear it, but I know I will grow if I receive it in the spirit in which it is given. Amen

Many times I find myself frustrated when I speak the truth and the Lord has specifically given me the green light to speak and someone misunderstands me or is too hard hearted and wants to do it their own way. I have to be so careful to listen to the Holy Spirits leading and not just give out counsel that no one wants to listen to. I told the teens this past week that so many times in my life the Lord has had to have someone who loves me as a friend and have them say the hard things that I need to hear. I am so thankful the Lord has put them into my life for this very purpose. Sometimes I get to the point of not wanting to put myself out there for family, friends, church members ...because I don't want to feel rejection that speaking the truth can bring along with it, but then I hear that still small voice of the Holy Spirit saying I want you to speak Deb.

So today I am wondering how the Lord uses the personality characteristics He has given to you, to help him further His kingdom. Do you use them when it may be unpopular to do so or do you stay silent? Do you seek Godly counsel from other godly people? The Bible talks over and over how we can't be Lone Ranger Christians. We all need one another to help us grow in our journey with Christ. Praying you will be used greatly by our Lord this week.

Blessings,

Deb

1 comment:

Mommy Missionary said...

I've been thinking a lot about that with my kids. If we really want them to stand for truth and Christ then they will face hardship and rejection. I don't want them to have it tough, I want to make things easy. I almost want to say, just go with the flow and it'll be better. I guess I do that in my own life too. Sometimes it's easier to not speak the truth when it is needed. God is showing my that I have to put myself out there for Him and I have to help my kids do the same. Glad you went to camp - God is using you and your wisdom!