Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rest, Renewal and ReEntry

Hi!

This summer was a wild ride. As you know we had alot going on with Steven's internship, Hannah's graduation from High School and getting her ready to go to College.

We left here on Thursday, August 20th mid afternoon. I didn't think we were ever going to get gone but we finally pulled both cars out of the driveway and onto the highway. We had a good trip out to Scottsbluff. Hannah's car did great and we enjoyed our caravan together. Part of the time Hannah rode with dad and part of the time with me. What a special time as it was to be our last for awhile.

On Friday Hannah filled out several job applications and got to know the city of Scottsbluff. Friday evening she and her roommate Lucinda were invited to a bonfire with other Frontier students. Hannah had a great time and she had a twinkle back in her eye for the first time in several weeks. Leaving for college was a trial in itself as she packed up her belongings and put her room to rest. She was anxious to get going but a part of her wanted to just stay at home as she put it. I was glad to see her smile return and the excitement that she had that night.

Saturday we headed to Frontier for registration and to move her into the dorm. She got through the process in good time and unloaded all her stuff. I was afraid that it wouldn't all fit but it did. Thankfully her roomate Lucinda is a minimalist so she graciously let Hannah have all of the desk and the bottom bed on thier bunk beds. As she began to unpack I asked her if she was ready for us to leave and her answer was no! So I helped where she asked me to and we got everything organized. After that she was ready to say goodbye. We left her with her two roomates Reathy and Lucinda and headed off with the Lucinda's family in our back seat to Scottsbluff. Having them along really made it easier to leave. I did shed a few tears and told her I would see her in September.

Sunday we attended the church that Hannah will be attending. The Mitchell E-Free Church. We have known the pastor for many years and the people were so much like the people at Red Cloud. It is a small congregation which we know that Hannah will enjoy and feel comfortable with. After lunch with a few of the church families we headed off to Chadron, NE. I shouldn't have had any CD's going in the car because each song reminded me of our times together as we would drive and sing anything from HS Musical to Remedy Drive! Of course Jon and I were both in tears. Happy tears for Hannah and Happy tears for us as we begin this new life together.

Our vacation was wonderful, just what we needed. Rest, Visiting with dear friends, Too much eating and spending time together. Hannah called us several times over week to update us on how she was doing. She is settled and doing well and we were ready to head home and to see where the Lord would lead us next.

We arrived home safely last evening. Unpacked the car and got things prepared for worship today. I thought it would be hard as my pew would be empty but some dear people decided to change where they sit to sit with me! Thanks Jeff and Diana!

I haven't opened up Hannah's bedroom door yet. I know I will this week when we take down the blinds that need to be washed, but until then I just keep telling myself "This is just like it was when she was in Germany last summer."

Our home is quiet but I am finding it restful. Our table is empty but Jon and I are rediscovering one another and have had great conversation together. Our nest may be empty at the moment, but we know it won't always be. The kids will come home to visit, maybe even to live for awhile.

The one thing I know for sure is that God has a plan for our lives and His plan is best!

So tomorrow I will rise up and not have to homeschool Hannah, but will use that extra time to get to know my Savior better. I will intercede for Jon, our kids, our extended family and church family. I may even sit and drink a cup of coffee in the new quietness of my home and I will remember how good and faithful the Lord has been and will continue to be in this new season of life.

Blessings!

3 comments:

Mommy Missionary said...

You handled it all with grace! I'm excited to hear about the things you are learning on this journey.

Simple Things Sweet Life said...

I enjoyed hearing of your journey (both physical and emotional). :) It will be about 8 years before we have an empty nest, but we are enjoying a smaller, quieter nest with just our third child at home. Enjoy your home and husband! :) Would love to have you follow my blog as well...simplethingssweetlife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Deb,
I have been praying for you... I miss Steven like crazy, and I wish there was some way for us to kidnap him. Of course maybe we should get some kids of our own.

He will be your son forever though, and you and Jon made a big impact on him.